Saturday, November 29, 2008

The technical brain remains technical

The brain functions in a strange manner. I am one that believes in being in one place at a time and soaking in the atmosphere and all that one can experience. i guess it stems from the fact that I can't multi-task well. I am not the type that wakes up at 5am to cook a meal, prepare the kids for school, gets cleaned up and looks immaculate at work, then reaches home with everything prepared overnight and well chopped vegetables and meat ready to be cooked for a meal in the evening. And as soon as supper is done and cleared, i check on the kids homework for the day and sing lullabies for the little ones to go to bed. Nope, I am no superwoman.

Sadly I am the sluggish, distracted, contemplative type. I get flustered if I have to do anything out of my routine and i do keep my routine very simple. For instance, when the kids were young, I can count with one hand the number of times I met up with friends for the first 10 years. Interestingly, when i tried to keep to doing one thing at a time, I discovered how the brain functions.

Typically, when you are working, one part of your brain functions. Let's call it the working brain. If you work intensely, maybe the working brain occupies 80% of your consciousness. In which case only 20% of the consciousness uses the daily brain. What I found over the last 17 years or so, is that for some stretches when I was not working, only the daily brain is functioning, whilst the working brain refuses to engage in daily living. So 80% of the consciousness will continue to focus on work issues eventhough you are not working. The working brain does not immediately engage itself with the daily living. It looks for something which resembles work. It continues to look for something to absorb.

This probably explains why when one retires or decides to stop work, it is very important to continue learning something technical, or doing something related to the old job. Without doing so, the working brain will probably shut down.

So if anyone of you out there doing tax work is planning to retire i am sorry for you cos i can't think what hobby you will need to take up to resemble your work, hmm, take up taxonomy of birds, be a bird watcher; or be a librarian, is this book general fiction or biography?

No comments: