Thursday, September 9, 2010

Bird Park Lake Gardens

I remember we spent a lot of money a few years ago to get the Bird Park upgraded. So my expectation was raised when I recently visited the Bird Park, unfortunately on the same day as my post on 'Malaysian tourism and our Orchid Garden'.

Gosh, I was shocked to see that yeeesss there are a lot more birds now. But is that the point? I felt sick when I was there. The overcrowding of birds in an enclosed hot and humid environment in a public place. Have we not heard of bird flu or the avian flu? I felt like I had to go take a shower (with chlorox added) after the visit.

Any professional bird park management would know that sanitization is key. The place must be washed down each day to clean off the bird droppings. There were bird droppings on the footpath. Birds were wandering every where.

Instead of showcasing our local birds, we have too many imported birds. Why do we have so many imported birds of the same kind. Birds I could not relate to. There was even a sickly looking emu with hardly any feathers left. It is sad.

We have beautiful Malaysian birds. I remember there were some nice looking hornbills that used to approach us while we sat at Carls Junior. That is gone. We have stalls that sell coconuts at RM10 each. I had hoped to see more lovely colourful sunbirds that I see in my own garden attracted by the red seeds of the local palms. I had hoped to also see hummingbirds that love the red powderpuff.

2 comments:

Josephine Alme said...

So glad that we did not make it there this summer then. We were there last summer and it was ok. So I thot Rebecca would enjoy it more now that she is older.

grassfields said...

Hi Josephine,

Hopefully the bird park management will get it in better shape quickly. And you can take Rebecca there on your next trip back. It's our favourite place to visit. We miss the old Carl's Junior restaurant there where the hornbill will come and sit at the table with us. You probably remember that too.