Sunday, February 6, 2011

Chinese new year cookies and snacks

The best pineapple tarts I've had this year has to be my cousin, tua moi's in Kuching. Her mini tarts, both pastry and pineapple filling simply melts in the mouth. Never tasted anything quite like it. And she gave me a whole jar to take home. Yum!

My sister, Ping on the other hand baked the best crushed almond cookies. It crumbles entirely and then the taste of the almonds permeates. Best of all, there is hardly any flour for those who are watching their simple carbohydrates. The almonds provides the much needed magnesium, especially during the chinese new year heavy meals. For once, I did not suffer any constipation despite the over eating which I attribute entirely to the almond cookies. Certainly more effective and more tasty compared to the prune juice which I had to resort to.

This year I was also made aware of this lovely chips called ngaku chips made from arrowhead. It looks like big white onion bulbs. The texture is light and the art in the eating is all in the aftertaste. This is another snack that does not contain flour.

And I couldn't stop dipping my hand into the tupperware of barbecued bacon meats. I think my brother bought it from Wing Heong in Jalan Imbi, Kuala Lumpur.

No comments: